I love this series, The Graveyard Queen series. This is the third book and the setting is In South Carolina. So I made Red Velvet Cupcakes. My first attempt and it was really delicious.
The story has me on the edge of my seat. Ameila has gone back home and has been forced to face her deepest fears there. The ghosts are draining her, and she is not following any of the rules set by her father. There are some very creepy ghosts/shadows lurking on the edges…I am only at 23 %
|Vegan Red Velvet Cupcakes Recipe From eeglesscooking.com|
- 1 cup Non Dairy Milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons Cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 cup Oil
- 2 tablespoons Red Food Coloring (make sure that it’s vegan)
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Almond Extract
For Frosting, I made a basic cream cheese frosting- margarine,vegan cream cheese and powdered sugar, almond extract, all to taste.
- Preheat the oven at 350F/180C for 15 minutes. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners and grease it lightly.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together the milk and vinegar allowing it to curdle. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in the sugar too.
- Once the milk has curdled, stir in the oil, food color and the extracts. Whisk it well to combine.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and slowly add the wet ingredients to it, stirring it until all the ingredients come together. Small lumps are okay. Take care to see that you do not over mix it otherwise you will not get fluffy cupcakes.
- Fill each muffin tin 3/4ths full of the batter.
- Bake it for about 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cupcake comes out clean or with very little crumbs is okay too. Mine were done after 17 minutes.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let it remain there for 5 minutes. After that remove the cupcakes from the pan and let it cool completely before you can frost it.